By Stefan J. Bos, Special Correspondent Worthy News
(Worthy News) – Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson was taken from intensive care late Thursday but remained in a London hospital recovering of the new coronavirus COVID-19, his office announced. "The prime minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward…He will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery," it added.
The 55-year-old Johnson was admitted to St Thomas' Hospital on Sunday evening with a persistent high temperature and cough. He was rushed to intensive care on Monday, where he spent three nights receiving treatment, officials said.
However, "He is in extremely good spirits," his office claimed. Johnson was the first known world leader hospitalized with the coronavirus. His illness forced him to hand control of the world's fifth-largest economy to foreign minister Dominic Raab. It comes as Britain's outbreak approaches its deadliest week so far. Almost 8,000 people with the coronavirus have died in British hospitals, according to government figures.
Prime Minister Johnson tested positive for COVID-19 two weeks ago and at first said he had only "mild" symptoms. However, doctors later expressed concern, and he was rushed to the hospital.
Experts say that for most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. But for especially older adults and people with health problems, it can cause pneumonia and, in severe cases, death.
Award-winning international journalist Stefan J. Bos is founder of BosNewsLife and also reports for other national and international media.
Copyright 1999-2020 Worthy News. All rights reserved.
If you are interested in articles produced by Worthy News, please check out our FREE sydication service available to churches or online Christian ministries. To find out more, visit Worthy Plugins.